Cindy's Reviews > Everyday Drinking: The Distilled Kingsley Amis

Everyday Drinking by Kingsley Amis

Feb 21, 2011

bookshelves: non-fiction, health-and-or-food, sf11, ebook, own
Read from October 06 to 18, 2011

Kingsley Amis was notorious for liking a good drink. He was a Scotch man, but found ways to appreciate all drink. Except maybe wine. He was self-admittedly clueless about wine. Shame. This book is a collection of his boozy writings, and even a pub-style trivia quiz section.

Of most interest to my bookish friends is the section "Hangover Reading." Seriously, this book is worth it just for his literature rundown. To whet your appetite, he mentions Paradise Lost and One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich.

Anyway, on Saturday night we decided to try one of his more delicious sounding drink recipes/descriptions. (His recipes were really more about the commentary on its effects or origins or place in society.) Here's the makings for an Old Fashioned:

And the result:

It was yummy and balanced - a definite add to our regular rotation. I have to admit though that we didn't do the full 3oz of Bourbon. We cut it back to 2. In general Amis was keen on minimizing the mix-ins, and maximizing the alcohol content high. A little too high for my taste, even though we had some fabulous Labrot & Graham Woodford Reserve thanks to our generous friends.

I had to deduct a star for the old-fashioned sexist nature of the book. Amis and his musings were a product of his time. Luckily it didn't diminish too much from the hilarious quotable gems. Such as:

"And most experts will tell you that the bloom begins to fade from a martini as soon as it is first mixed, which may be pure subjectivism, but, in any drinking context, subjectivism is very important."

Finally I give you Amis's rebuttal on the widely held belief that mixing alcohols gives you a wicked hangover the next day:
"An evening when you drink a great deal will also be one when you mix them." QED
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everyday Drinking.

10/06/2011
0.0% "Ebook on sale at Amazon right now. :)"
10/10/2011
49.0% "After recipe for La Tequila con Sangrita, "You will find it a splendid pick-me-up, and throw-me-down, and jump-on-me. Strongly dis-recommended for mornings after.""
10/15/2011
59.0% "We made Old Fashioneds with Amis's recipe. Fantastic! That old drunkard makes them a touch too strong, though..." 2 comments

message 1: by Dree (new)

Dree OMG! Never heard of it. I have to tell my husband, it is so him.

Cindy It looks totally awesome. I've only ever read Lucky Jim, but it was fantabulous, so this has to be great, right?

message 3: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Owens Nice! I'm definitely adding this to my "to read" list. And I'm starting a "to drink" one.

Cindy A "To Drink" shelf is a rad idea, Sunny Dude! (Was that my nickname for you? Can't quite remember...)

I think I violated some law of GR physics by not writing this review whilst drunk.

message 5: by Mathew (new)

Mathew Owens I don't think I've had a "rad" idea before. Go me!