~Tina~'s Reviews > My One and Only

My One and Only by Kristan Higgins

Feb 23, 11

bookshelves: netgalley-edelweiss, arc, adults, read-2011, contemporary
Read from February 21 to 23, 2011

Shark divorce attorney and realistic-thinker, Harper James, just found out that her little sister Willa is getting married. Again. Only she happens to know the groom since Willa is marrying her ex-husbands brother.
To make an even more uncomfortable situation worse, Harper finds herself on a cross country road-trip home with Nick, causing her very guarded heart to open up again. Can Harper and Nick remember what love was suppose to be all about, or will they make the same mistakes all over again?

Even though I've never been a huge fan of contemporary romance, I've always been curious about Kristan Higgins books and so glad that I had the opportunity to view her latest.
My One and Only is a wonderful, delightful romantic comedy about family, marriage, divorce and love.
Kristan writes a brilliant comical and heartwarming tale about a cynical heart and the boy that she's always loves.
It was honest, moving and very amusing.

Harper is a very unique character and I wasn't sure I'd like her at first. She basically treats everything like a day in court, she has some warped ideas about marriage and happily ever after and doesn't seem to truly need anybody. But, the truth is that Harper got burned when she was just a child and old wounds are hard to let go and move on. Even thought she as a hard-shell on the inside, she has a quirky, funny personality that is easy to fall in love with as the story goes on.
Nick is every women dream come true. Sweet, successful and has a warm effortless charm. He takes the idea of love and makes it bigger then life, something that is very endearing in a character.
Together, Harper and Nick aren't some cookie cutter couple. They're a mess and completely flawed, but I found it very refreshing that this wasn't the kind of romance where everything isn't rainbows and sunshine, in fact, they seemed to make the same mistakes as the story went on, making this even more easy to relate too and intriguing to read from beginning to end. Loved, loved there banter. They had some of the greatest chemistry that just sizzled off the pages.
Even the secondary characters were all pretty amazing, but I have to give a special shout out to Den (dude!), he really made me giggle!

Bottom line, I really loved this one and while reading I could totally picture this on the big screen.
My One and Only, is a great laugh out loud romance that inspires the feeling of first love, the glory of true love and all the mess that comes with it.

Beautifully done!

(Arc provided by Netgalley and Harlequin)
9 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My One and Only.

message 1: by Jessica (new) - added it

Jessica Great review, Tina! I don't think I have read any adult contemporary romance so far but maybe it's time for me to give it a try...

~Tina~ Thanks babe! I'm not use to adult contemporary but this was really funny:)

message 3: by Kim (new)

Kim Love the review hon =) Jess, I'm looking forward to your thoughts, I might give it a try if you end up liking it too.

~Tina~ Thankies!

message 5: by Arlene (new)

Arlene Hmmmm this sounds like something I'd enjoy. Great review Tina! Adding it to my list.

message 6: by Lora (new)

Lora I'm adding this to my list. Great review, Tina. :)

message 7: by Nic (new)

Nic Great review twinie! I am a romantic fool so I am pretty sure I would love this :)

~Tina~ Thanks guys! I hope you enjoy it:)

Nomes i'm absolutely in the mood for this one right now...

fab review

~Tina~ Thanks Nomes! This was a really fun book:)

Nomes have you read any other ones by this author? i am thinking of getting one of two of her books...

~Tina~ No I haven't read anything else by her yet, but all her books are at my library and I see them everywhere, which was why I was so curious about her to begin with. I'll probably pick up one her books next month:)

Nomes i already checked my lib and they don't have any. they are cheap books though ~ assuming they are mass market paperbacks.

i am always on the look out for books like this as sometimes they are just perfect for the mood i am in :)

~Tina~ I admit, this isn't my favorite genre. But sometimes when I'm in the right mood, these books are like gold to me. I'm strange >.<

Nomes it isn't really my genre at all. which is why i have no idea which authors/books to read in it. but it feels good reading this stuff after a lot of YA or serious literary books.

~Tina~ Exactly! I've been challenging myself to read books by authors I never thought I would before. This is one of them:) I also want to try a Nora Roberts book; which I'm gonna with-Vision in White and also a Danielle Steel book, but I don't have a clue which book to start with.

Vinaya Try Summer's End, Tina, I really liked it, it's the only one of her books that isn't jarring and full of shock-value shit. That I've read anyway. :)

Also, Nomes, if you're looking for really funny contemporary romances, you can't do better than Jennifer Crusie, she's really truly awesome!

~Tina~ Thanks for the rec's Vinaya! I'm gonna look into both suggestions:)

Nomes I have a NORA ROBERTS on my shelf now (from the library) that I got some bookers to rec to me.

I tried Bet Me by Jennifer Crusie by Jennifer Cruisie and couldn't even finish it :( which is more about me than the book (me and this genre that i try to love but it doesn't come naturally, haha). anyway, I did read 150 pages of it but wasn't feeling it.