John's Reviews > World's End

World's End by T.C. Boyle

M_50x66
Mar 08, 11

Read from February 25 to March 08, 2011

I grew up at the foot of Storm King mountain. I spent my youth hiking its hills, sitting on it's cliffs and looking over the mighty Hudson River across to Breakneck ridge, just a few miles away from World's End. There was something special about the region that you feel as a child but can't fully grasp until later in life. In the decade and a half since moving away, i find myself forever drawn back to the mid hudson valley...either in dreams, thoughts, stories. My soul is attached to the river and the mountains protecting it like the acient stone walls that still mark the old property lines.

World's End evokes the power of the region, its history and the memories that live in all of us lucky enough to call it home. These stories and emotions are not something that needs to be created but rather uncovered by the author, which he does with great love and respect. Just like the 19th century existentialists that found sollace in its forests and the painter's that sat for years on it's silent shores, TC Boyle listened to the spirit of the Hudson and brought it to us in only the way he can. Fantastic read.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read World's End.