Lea (YA Book Queen)'s Reviews > Where She Went

Where She Went by Gayle Forman

Apr 24, 11

bookshelves: for-review, autographed, printed-book, own
Read from April 02 to 24, 2011

I've been thinking about this novel for a few months now, reflecting on the story and my reaction to it...and in the end, I realized that Where She Went must have been pretty spectacular to remain in my thoughts for so long.

After three long years, Adam and his band are on top of the world and he's a famous rock star. But despite how great everything seems, Adam's less than thrilled with his life. Even his relationships with his band-mates aren't what they used to be. Everyday, he runs through the motions of his rock-star life while staving off nervous breakdowns with a bottle of pills. Honestly, it was so heartbreaking to read Adam narrative and to see his character so sad. Even with Mia's appearance, the changes in her both pleased and saddened me as I followed Adam's narration.

Forman's writing evoked different emotions in me with words that were poetic, beautiful, and heartbreaking. It is so easy to get lost in the story and emotion of Where She Went, and to just let the pages turn as the story unfolds. The story itself takes place quickly, for the most part in a matter of a full day, as Adam and Mia spend time trying to understand each other, themselves, the past, and coming to terms with each of their futures.

Highlights: Adam's voice is achingly familiar, yet fresh and compelling - I was worried he would sound like Mia. However, Adam is different, broken in a different way than Mia once was. And thankfully, he still has some of his lovable charm and humor. I love how Forman shows how her characters have changed in three years, how they've evolved and grown. Even though it was initially a challenge for me to dive into Adam's mindset, Adam's words and the emotion behind them resonated with me long after the final page.

Lowlights: The first half of the novel was difficult to get through because Adam really is in such a down place, and not entirely the man he used to be. It's difficult to see a character you adore be in a place like that. But, the last half made everything worthwhile.

Posted on YA Book Queen
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Where She Went.

04/02/2011 page 73
04/03/2011 page 136
52.0% "*sigh* Why can't people ever just say what they want to say?"