Guy Gonzalez's Reviews > The Shadow Conspiracy II

The Shadow Conspiracy II by Phyllis Irene Radford

Apr 22, 11

bookshelves: my-ebooks, steampunk, self-published
Read from February 27 to April 22, 2011

Another enjoyable collection from Book View Café, though I'm not sure if it's better than the first one or I've just gotten more comfortable with ebooks since then. Either way, the Kindle itself (device and apps) has definitely improved over that period.

There's not a dud in the mix, though a few of the opening stories felt a bit more Victorian than I like, and the closing tale's cheeky tone was a bit out of sync with the rest. My favorites were definitely Pati Nagle's "Clare de Lune," which made me want a series of Marie LaVeau novels and movies in this setting ASAP; Sue Lange's "Shadow of Kilimanjaro," which does the best job of connecting the underlying Byron/Lovelace thread into a story that stands on its own merits; and C.L. Anderson's "Nuthin' but a Man," which completely caught me off-guard as the most character-driven story of the bunch, pushing the steampunk elements into the background to deliver a really engaging story with a satisfying twist.

Overall, another winner and definitely recommended, and I still want to own both of these anthologies in print!
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Shadow Conspiracy II.

10.0% "Casil's opening story nicely resets the stage for the overarching Conspiracy."
03/16/2011 page 39
14.72% "The threads connecting these stories seem a little more solid than in the first volume, but I'm not sure yet if that's a good thing. Pirate Queen and Kilimanjaro were both fun reads on their own merits, though."
49.0% "C.L. Anderson's "Nuthin' but a Man" caught me off-guard. The most character-driven story so far, it pushes the steampunk elements into the background and delivers an engaging story with a satisfying twist."
89.0% "Nagle's "Clare de Lune" makes me want a series of Marie LaVeau novels in this setting ASAP! One of my overall favorites from both volumes."