Fiona Moyler's Reviews > Black Man

Black Man by Richard K. Morgan

Mar 15, 11

bookshelves: fiction
Read from February 21 to March 09, 2011

I thought as an action story this was fantastic. And it also had a lot of the kinds of social questions I enjoy in my scifi. I thought the comparisons drawn between the racism of our own time and the anti-variant sentiment of the future were really nicely done and thought provoking, but occasionally got a little heavy-handed - if that's not too much of a contradiction! Great stuff from Richard Morgan -I'm tempted to say as usual- but since this is only the second thing I've read by him that might be jumping the gun a little. One qualm though; I was at the hair dressers midway through reading the book and she was using one of those combs with the long spike on the end on my hair. The thought jumped into my head of how easy it would be for her to grab my head and bury the spike in my eye! Stuff like that doesn't usually pop into my head (really!) so I blame RM. Yes, it was a violent book, but it never felt gratuitious. Two books of his down and I have come to expect great quality action from him, and I haven't even read his most acclaimed novel yet! Hurrah!
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Black Man.