Selene's Reviews > The Magicians' Guild

The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan

2081706
Feb 21, 11

Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** This book was completely exhilarating and frustrating, but still unexpectedly fulfilling. Having spent half of the book in a chase, I can understand the apprehension of some to give it more than three or four stars. I found myself screaming at the screen of my Kindle "COME ON! LET THEM CATCH YOU!" It was also quite amusing to find the glossary of terms at the end of the book, particularly since I spent most of it thinking about how the number of made-up terms and the quality of a book are inversely proportional. Sometimes I really felt frustrated at Sonea's mistrust of the magicians, but, trying to put myself in her shoes, it helped to think of how she had never spoken to any of them, but had only seen them as the driving force behind the Purge.

In any case, this book has more positive virtues than negative ones. I was completely fascinated by the magic system in the book. It reminded me more of psychic power than anything, and I was somewhat dissapointed to see that Sonea was going to follow the "woman's route" and pick Healing. I wanted to learn more about Alchemy! Dannyl's experiments interested me more than the Healing House.

Still, I am glad that Sonea finally realized how foolish it was to turn away from her gift near the end of the book. That was one of the fulfilling moments I was talking about, as it made me shout "Yes!" and scare my dog witless. I cared for all of the characters, and I particularly liked Rothen and Cery. By the last few pages, I also took a shine to Lorlen, Dannyl, and even Sonea (she wasn't that bad most of the time, but the biggest fraction of my frustrations came from her stubborness).

Right before the end of the book, I felt like most of the things wouldn't be resolved in a cohesive manner before I reached the last page. Perhaps it is because of reading webcomics and comics lately which prefer to end the issue in the middle of a frustrating cliffhanger. However, I was pleasantly surprised to see how well most issues had been resolved, with an obvious hook for the next novel at the end.

Seeing some of the comments in here have encouraged me to read the next novel, as it is hailed as better than this one. Frankly, I can't wait to delve more into this world and gain a better understanding on the Magic system.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Magicians' Guild.