Libby's Reviews > The Latino Journey to Financial Greatness: 10 Steps to Creating Wealth, Security, and a Prosperous Future for You and Your Family

The Latino Journey to Financial Greatness by Louis Barajas

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: finance-and-credit
Read on February 21, 2011

This is an odd one. I respect the intention of recognizing values-based barriers to financial advancement (I certainly have my own complicated batch), my concern is that the author comes down too quickly and completely on the side of an Anglo, capitalistic value system, one which I'm not entirely sold on. That said, it captures the tension more explicitly than any other financial coaching book I've been reading.
One particularly joyful paragraph p.74:
"When we build pie shops, when we create business and abundance in our own communities, we can say to each other, "Be my guest: go ahead and eat the rest of that pie. I know there's another pie coming." When you believe there is always going to be more pie, then it doesn't matter if your brother-in-law buys a Mercedes, or if a competitor opens an office in your neighborhood, or if your daughter moves into a house that's larger than yours. You know that you can have your piece of the pie too, if you're willing to work for it."
This chapter heading packs a punch: "Fatalism: A Divine Excuse for Doing Nothing"
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Latino Journey to Financial Greatness.