Jason DeGroot's Reviews > High Country

High Country by Nevada Barr

Feb 10, 08

bookshelves: anna-pigeon, crime-mystery, 2008, from-the-library
Read in February, 2008

Only two Anna Pigeon novels left to read! What the hell am I going to do? This one actually felt a little bit like Barr was phoning it in, but even phoning it in for Barr makes for a great story. Usually the books get set up at a pretty leisurely pace, but this one Anna's already in the middle of an investigation, working undercover as a waitress at Yosemite. This one is really a lot more of a thriller than it is a mystery. The scenes of Anna trying to survive in the wilderness are about the most intense scenes of anything I've read in the Anna Pigeon series. That is the one thing that I love/hate about this series, is that you know eventually Anna's gonna get the hell beat out of her, either by the bad guys or by nature itself and usually both.

Anna is such a great character. Barr always injects her with so much wryness about human nature and also with the little quirks of humanity that I wish she were real. I've got a feeling she's Barr's alter ego, so maybe someday I'll be able to meet Barr, which I'm guessing is as close as meeting Anna as I'll get. Anna getting offended about disparaging remarks regarding her waitressing abilities added some nice humor in a pretty dark story, and I loved how Barr had Anna questioning her own humanity because of her actions in this one. Come to think of it, this one was a pretty damned violent story, even for a series that deals with murders. And as a big fan of punnery, kudos on the title, a nice little double entendre dealing with both the setting and the events in the book. Another excellent read that took me just a couple of days because I can't put the damn book down.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read High Country.