Amanda Pearl's Reviews > Deadline

Deadline by Mira Grant

Dec 16, 14

liked it
bookshelves: zombies, science-fiction, 2011-release, bir-2012, own-hard-copy, own, tbr
Read from November 23, 2011 to May 06, 2012

This review will not contain any spoilers for Deadline OR Feed because I could never ruin such an amazing book for you!

OK guys, you know how much I loved Feed. Seriously, Feed is probaby one of my favourite books of all time. I could not put that book down, and I was still thinking about the plot and the characters months after finishing the book. So I think it's pretty obvious I had monstrously huge expectations for Deadline, and while the book was enjoyable, it fell far short of the ridiculously high bar it's predecessor has set.

One of my biggest problems with this "zombie" book was it's distinct LACK of zombies! There's some running away from zombies, but they only actually encounter zombies like, two times. I wanted a little more suspense and action! Lots of Deadline was spent in conversation. The characters spent way too much time talking about what they were going to do, rather than actually doing it. These conversations wouldn't have been too bad, but we switch narrators from Georgia to Shaun, and his inner monologue is very repetitive and gets rather annoying after a while.

I also am missing the love that I had for the supporting characters. I loved Buffy and Mahir in Feed, but I didn't feel the same love for Becks, Alaric, and Maggie. In general I just wasn't nearly as committed to Deadline as I was to Feed, which I think is pretty apparent considering it took me almost 6 months to read!

Deadline is a good follow up, but is missing a lot of the magic of feed, which is one of the best books I've ever read. I'm not as big a fan of Shaun as I was of Georgia, and none of the big plot twists seemed that shocking. I am still very excited for Blackout, and I think it will be awesome based on the ending of Deadline.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadline.

11/27/2011 page 100