Hudson's Reviews > The Last Ringbearer

The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Yeskov

Jan 23, 13

UPDATE: A lot of the negative reviews of this book seem to be based on people not being able to deal with the author’s (very clever) undercutting of long-held assumptions about who were the good guys in The Lord of the Rings. I found the text lively in terms of plot, inventive in terms of literature, and incisive in terms of geopolitics. A second reading was even better than the first go-round.

ORIGINAL REVIEW: This is a cut way above your typical fan fiction, satire, and fantasy lit in general. The author has overturned most every assumption we formed as juvenile LOTR readers, by applying the political lens of Howard Zinn (A People's History of Middle Earth?) with the sardonic wit of David Lodge and Gore Vidal... And there's a lot of added value, beyond the revisionism and the cynicism, in many original characters and scenes with little dependence on the original. I'd be very interested to see what this writer would create on his own, because the literary talent on display is impressive. Highly recommended if you ever read Tolkien.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Last Ringbearer.