Lindsay's Reviews > Rilla of Ingleside

Rilla of Ingleside by L.M. Montgomery

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: childhood-favorites
Read in July, 1985

This is the book that finally severed my relationship with Kevin Sullivan. When Anne of Green Gables: The Continuing Story premiered in the early 2000s, I was shocked to discover that Anne and Gilbert were suddenly time warped to WWI.

That's wrong. On so many levels.

WWI wasn't Anne's war, it was Rilla's, and Ken's, and Walter's, and that damn dog who turns me into a gushy mess every freaking time I read the last chapter. Rilla -- the youngest child of Anne and Gilbert -- is fifteen (see what I mean about the time warp??) and desperately in love with the boy next door. When the world around her crashes and she's forced to grow up quickly, her journey is just as enjoyable as her mother's was in the first three books. The difference is, this is a mature kind of love. Though I devoured the entire series as a seven year old, Rilla of Ingleside is the one that I've worn through with repeated readings as an adult. Simply put, it's perfection.

The fact that Kevin Sullivan clearly ignored the fact that this book was written at all is frustrating and, to a reader who considers this book one of the reasons she became a romance writer, downright cruel.
22 likes · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rilla of Ingleside.

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

i was also traumatized that they wouldn't let Anne just be who she was by this time in the novel - a mother - and let the spotlight shine on the new star of the show - her daughter Rilla. the time warp making them an older couple bugs me too; her sons generation were in the war.

Lindsay forget about me I love you wrote: "i was also traumatized that they wouldn't let Anne just be who she was by this time in the novel - a mother - and let the spotlight shine on the new star of the show - her daughter Rilla. the time ..."

Anne of Ingelside actually covers Anne and Gilbert as parents. I believe, in fact, that it was
written later in response to the same concerned you raised that there really wasn't anything that showed Anne as a mum.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

a movie about Anne as a mum would be neat.

message 4: by C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

C. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who hated the last Anne movie!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

well I didn't say I hated it, but I was disappointed :(

Michaela I think I read Sullivan didn't have permission to use the Montgomery narratives but, because he wanted to keep making Anne films he wrote his own. The prequel he came up with starting Barbra Hershey was WORSE than the "Continuing Story" believe it or not! And yes, totally agree that Rilla of Ingleside was a glorious book.

Melody Cantwell Sshhhhh--that movie doesn't exist!

Michaela Hahaha! Ok Melody, I'm happy to agree that film never, ever, ever happened. :D