Anna's Reviews > Animals in Translation: Using the Mysteries of Autism to Decode Animal Behavior

Animals in Translation by Temple Grandin

Feb 23, 11

Read in February, 2011

This book was written by Temple Grandin who is autistic. Grandin discusses how she sees animals differently then normal people would. That's why she had trouble with certain types of subjects in school because she literally thinks in pictures, not in words. Grandin made her lectures sound like autistic people have such a unique quality to them because they actually have skills that can be associated with other ideas.
This is a book I would highly recommend for people because it tells the truth about the normal person and their connection with animals. After I read this book, I never thought about my interactions with animals. For example, I have a cat and I will play with her when I want her affection and love. When she meows for no reason, I blow her off which now makes me feel guilty. Maybe she is asking for affection and love from me but I don't know that because I never knew that animals are exactly the same as us humans. Sure they may walk different, look different, speak different or interact with others differently, but that's due to the way they are suppose to act. I now rethink about my interactions with my cat and provide her with love and affection when she meows.
Overall this book is terrific!

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Animals in Translation.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Hala (new)

Hala Yes, so this is the plot. I assume you liked it by the 4 stars, but who would you recommend to read or not read it?