Terry Clague's Reviews > Independence Day. Richard Ford

Independence Day. Richard Ford by Richard Ford

2002725
Mar 20, 11

Read from February 21 to March 07, 2011

Very good indeed - this is part of a trilogy though you can clearly read the books independently of one another. The protaganist is going through what he calls the "existence period" which amounts to what some might describe as a mid-life crisis. The narrator is brilliantly crafted: both sympathetic and unbelievably frustrating - you can see why his wife divorced him even without the previous book in the trilogy and at times you want to grab him and make him drop the rational analysis and show more emotion. When he does show it, he betrays his sense of frustration with others' reliance on their emotions, as below when talking to his ex-wife:

"What else from the land of truth did you want? I didn't have anything else to tell you. That was the truth. There's plenty about anybody you can't know and are better off not to, for Christ's sake...You're one of those people who think God's only in the details, but then if they aren't the precise right details, life's all fucked up. You invent things that don't exist, then you worry about being denied whatever they are. And then you miss the things that do exist."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Independence Day. Richard Ford.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Simon (new)

Simon I love that bit where Will Smith punches the alien. 'Welcome to Earth!'. Classic.

message 2: by Andrewh (new)

Andrewh That is an excellent novel.

message 3: by Jenny (new)

Jenny Can I put in a request for this for my birthday please Tezza? X

Terry Clague Birthday presents should be a surprise Jennybob!