Cayr's Reviews > Rescuing Sprite: A Dog Lover's Story of Joy and Anguish

Mar 01, 2011

did not like it
bookshelves: dogs
Read from February 21 to March 01, 2011

I love books about dogs. Fiction, non-fiction; it doesn't matter.

Sprite was a beautiful dog. I have no doubt that he was sweet and loving and that knowing him and loving him enriched the lives of the Levin family. Having lost dogs in my life that I loved dearly, I'm sure that writing about Sprite was very cathartic for the author. Mark Levin says in his acknowledgments that many people didn't think that he could tell Sprite's story, because it was so different from anything he'd ever written. Unfortunately, they were right.

Horribly written. Maybe I'm just a literature snob, but reading it was painful. I had to force myself to finish it, and not because of what was happening in the story, but because it was like reading a book that had been written by a 5th grader with no real life experience. Levin reports things as they happen with little personal insight and comes off as somebody who has lived a charmed and painless existence up until Sprite.

I didn't think it could get any worse, but then the author introduces us to his "best friends" Rush Limbaugh and Sean Hannity. Ugh. Up until that point, I had wondered how such a poorly written book had found a large traditional publisher.

I hate to give a book a bad review. Any time an author sits down to write, he/she is putting themself all the way out there. But this is one book I wish I'd passed on. Mark, don't quit your day job.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Rescuing Sprite.