Şahan Yatarkalkmaz's Reviews > The Catcher in the Rye

The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger

Mar 03, 2007

bookshelves: lacerations
Read in April, 2002

I did not read this book once or twice. I read it whenever I could. Tens of times. Sometimes I had to hold my breath to finish it. It was a book to remind.
One may think that I was influenced by that average Mel Gibson movie Conspiracy Theory and "the assassin of Kennedy had a copy of Catcher in the Rye in his pocket" legend, but it was not so. However it is true that I found myself reading the book after I watched the film. But the reason I repeated reading it, is nothing to with the American this and that.
I suppose there are many people who may regard this book as pulp or a passtime magazine. I prefer to leave them be. Holden Caulfield is about how every one of us is disgustingly fake and how each and every one of us continues to pretend we aren't so. The only way out is to embrace that fake-ness. It's not as bad as it sounds you know.
I used to read the ending just to remind myself what was going on in the whole book. Holden's sister IS the catcher. She is the whole point in life. At least for Holden. Everyone has some catcher. Or else, I don't know what.
I also like the bit on the prostitute. I do not know why, she gave me a tense realization of Holden's inner conflict. She gave me possibilities of every character of the book. It is also the texture of the book. It is a book of possibilities. You never really know any character for sure. Except for the sister whose name I forgot. She is the only divine figure in this godless, wanna-be-tragedy. I'd very much like to dig into the concept of godlessness and the modern in "Catcher in the Rye" but that's a plan for the future for now.
This book must be read to love or hate, not to like or dislike or say "hmm, I guess it's just a book". Or else it's just faking to have read it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Catcher in the Rye.

Comments <span class="smallText"> (showing 1-12 of 12) </span> <span class="smallText">(12 new)</span>

message 1: by Alper (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Alper Bahadir One of the best book reviews I have read in a while Sahan'cim, thank you for sharing.

message 2: by Şahan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:51AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Şahan Yatarkalkmaz You're welcome Alper'cim. Ne demek. Always. Will be on the watch for your reviews myself.

message 3: by Megan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 10:54AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Megan I loved your book review. You picked up on two of the most important moments (elements?) of the book that I actually left out when I taught my students The Catcher in the Rye -- the role of Sunny, the prostitute, and the fact that Phoebe really is the catcher. My students are not literarily-inclined (yes, I know, not a word), but that they saw this was by far the best moment of my young teaching career. I'm interested that you've read this book so many times. I couldn't. I read it once, put it down, and could not read it for several years. Almost ten actually. It haunted me. But yes - thank you for a great review.

message 4: by James (last edited Dec 01, 2009 08:29AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

James I liked your review but I disagree. "we are all fake" is simply a cop out. We are not all fake. Many of us are fake but they are what is wrong with society. If you are fake, I suggest you (not you sahen, anyone reading this) try to rectify you're shortcomings and not try to pass them off as normal. Holden was a spoiled self centered brat and he does NOT represent teenagers or society. Holden is fake not everyone else, although he does pick up on a few fellow fakers.
His almost religious regard for his sister (I forgot her name too) is less about godliness and more about Holden's Realization that he is a spoiled brat and any hope for the future rested on his sister who was not a complete waste of oxygen like himself.

message 5: by Jay (new) - rated it 3 stars

Jay Kim since the words used in this books are easy and written in conversational language, once u pick up the book and read, u can keep read it, true.

Negar Rahmani I Do Agree...

message 7: by Mayr (new)

Mayr Thanks for your review. i felt the book was spiritual. thats why i loved it. Now i dont know why i thought it was..

message 8: by Sean (new)

Sean Curraoin You sed exactly the same thing in your review of the perks of being a wallpaper

Lynda Dean You actually got that from this book?

Cosmic Arcata The Catcher in the Rye is about WW2. It is a story within a story. Holden (which is the name of a car) is just a vehicle to "understand" the WW2. See my review. When you understand that Salinger couldn't say what he knew about this war so he wrote it as a children's book... Just like Felix Salten in Bambi (not the Disney version, which is probably why Salinger didn't get his published.

Salinger tells you this is not a David Copperfield story. So don't read it like it is about Holden. Hint: look at the first page of David Copperfield to understand "Caiulfields" name.

I hope you will reread it again. This time when you get to the Merry go round play the music Salinger said was playing, and see if that makes sense or if he is using this book to tell you about money, power and war.

Maria Luebano Catcher in the Rye is a horrible book. Many people can argue that Catcher in the Rye can teach teens a lesson. As a 15 year old, I don't think students should read this book at all. It doesn't benefit the reader from reading the book. People don't actually learn from other peoples mistakes by reading about their life. They need some experience. For example, teenagers in high school are always told not to have sex, but they still do it and learn from their mistake once somebody ends up pregnant. The book can actually encourage teens to do bad things. I mean there's bad language in it, the main character is a screw up most of the time in the book. The book is just inappropriate and the main character is trying to grow up too fast. In addition, the main character is a bit of a douche bag. I know he's depressed, but he's selfish. He doesn't seem to care about his surroundings. He basically pushes everyone away and just seems to want to use woman for sex. I think he sees females as toys. Holden, the main character can get annoying when he can't make up his mind and it makes the book a little boring. I also don't recommend the book to people from this generation because of the hard vocabulary and slang words. Half the people from this generation wouldn't really understand it, but something I do know is that it'll make people who are actually going through something feel uncomfortable and depressed.

Kevin Cole You either like this book or hate it. There's no in-between and no arguing the point. So be it ;-)