Maren's Reviews > Dragonhaven

Dragonhaven by Robin McKinley

Feb 08, 2008

Read in February, 2008

** spoiler alert ** I really vacillated on what to rate this as. On the one hand, I kept getting bogged down in the main character's wordiness and philosophical ramblings. Sure, they were true to a teenage boy's character, or at least what I think one would do. But they were frustrating and at times I wanted to just scream at him to GET ON WITH IT AND SPIT IT OUT! On the other hand, as mom myself, I found myself sucked in to those feelings of the new baby years: first disbelief, then total sleep deprivation and recovering, then the baby talk, then the slow weaning as independence begins to exert itself in the relationship. I finally settled on 4 stars because I felt like she so accurately captured those feelings. Also, I liked how real the dragons seemed, complete as "meta-marsupials"... :) Sort of made me think of the elusive and most likely extinct Tasmanian Tiger whose loss we all mourn.

One stylistic note: I liked that McKinley has branched out a little in these past few years. Sunshine is one of my FAVORITE books of all time and seems a little different from her other "realistic" fairytales, like Spindles End and Rose Daughter (the last which I truly disliked). Dragonhaven seemed unique enough as well, though I have to say that after reading enough of her stuff, there seems to be such a strong agenda of dragging the magic out of fairytales that it can become a turn off.

If you made it through this excruciatingly long review, kudos to you. Sorry, I'm not super great at articulating my thoughts.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dragonhaven.