Lucille's Reviews > I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President

I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class... by Josh Lieb

Feb 20, 2011

it was ok
bookshelves: young-adult
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** Oliver is in the seventh grade. He's overweight and disliked by most of the population at his school. As far as everyone is concerned, he's as dim-witted as they come. He is highly disdainful of all other people, has a massive superiority complex and daddy issues, and just happens to be the third richest person in the world.... because he is an evil genuis in disguise. Right...
Although Oliver denies it, he secretly is desperate for his father's approval or recognition. So, when student council elections come around, Oliver accepts the challenge and runs for president. Of course, things go wrong and he comes up with ridiculous solutions, and every chapter is more far fetched and silly than the one before it, but it was somewhat entertaining. Some of the 'humour' just didn't quite reach me. Maybe it's because I'm not a twleve year old boy, but who knows? I suppose that it was ok, if you can get around the extreme implausibility of every single event that happens in the book. But that was all it was- ok. I wouldn't read it again. It took me about three hours to get through. Maybe two and a half. So I can't say that it was time wasted, because it was such a fast read.
One thing that really disappointed me though, was the ending. I was hoping that Oliver and Tatiana were going to have some sort of conflict, or maybe she would tell him that she saw past his dumb routine and recognized the 'evil' within him. Or maybe he would tell her the truth about himself. There were some things that seemed like they were leading up to that kind of ending, but it just didn't happen. His secret remained secret, and that almost leads me to believe that the author is bidding his time and holding things open just in case someone might pay him to write a sequel (which I wouldn't bother reading). In any case, I wanted more from the end and I didn't get it.
1 like · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read I Am a Genius of Unspeakable Evil and I Want to Be Your Class President.