Katie's Reviews > Julie and Julia: 365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen: How One Girl Risked Her Marriage, Her Job, and Her Sanity to Master the Art of Living

Julie and Julia by Julie Powell

Completely and utterly disappointing.

I was so in love with the idea that Julie came up with: to recreate each of the 524 recipes in Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking. I never had read her blog before, and my expectations for the book were high.

Unfortunately, Julie is a completely repulsive, unappealing and vulgar human being. Her self-deprecating - humor, was it? - didn't make me find her charmingly witty; rather, I just believed what she was telling me and decided that she was in fact the most disgusting person alive. The fact that she keeps her crappy apartment in filthy, squalor-like conditions (she had maggots growing in the kitchen that she was theoretically using on a daily basis) kinda made me want to throw up. If it hadn't been for my fascination with food and my love of Julia Child, I would have stopped reading (which is pretty rare for me).

The book isn't even about the cooking or Julia, not really, anyway. It's instead just a new platform for Julie to continue with her self-indulgent blogging.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Julie and Julia.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

The Library Lady Thank you!

I did not read this book, but I became aware of Julie Powell when she was blogging.

I found her to be foul mouthed, self-centered and utterly repulsive and I firmly believe Julia Child (one of my cooking goddesses) wouldn't have had time to waste on her!

That she's made money and a movie is coming)and won celebrity on Child's name infuriates me.

message 2: by Jessica (last edited Jul 12, 2009 08:05AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jessica I couldn't have said it any better... and I think the 2 stars I gave it was too much. :)

message 3: by Jan (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jan I totally agree. I liked the idea of trying all the recipes in the cookbook and when Julie was cooking via trial and error, she was very funny, but I got so tired of her foul mouth and her attitude. Why was she hating Republicans all the time? They seemed to tolerate her. I am just sorry that I spent money on the book and that some of it ended up in the author's pocket. I was going to seen the movie before I read the book, but no way now!

Charla Ditto!

Lisa All people have flaws. The book is entertaining. Lighten up everyone!

Katie The entire point of my review is that I didn't think the book was entertaining.

I hold books to high standards--there are so many amazing books out there that I don't feel the need to exaggerate/fabricate the positive in ones that don't impress me. Julie simply wasn't someone I enjoyed spending 300+ pages with.

Georgie I totally agree! Even more so after finishing the *wonderful* Julia Child memoir 'My Life in France' on audio.