YA Reads Book Reviews's Reviews > Written on the Body

Written on the Body by Jeanette Winterson

Feb 27, 11

bookshelves: christina
Read from February 20 to 23, 2011

The main attraction of this book is that the gender of the main character is never revealed. Yep, it’s true, we never find out. This is the reason my friend studied it at uni because it’s meant to make you question why the character needs a gender, why do we need to categorize people etc etc. So in that regard, it made the story very interesting. (For the record, if I had to give the MC a sex, I’d say it was a man).

I know lots of people love this book but it just wasnt for me. The way it was written gave me the same reaction as when I try to read classics like Jane Austen – I just can’t do it. It’s like another language to me, it doesn’t make sense. The words start to blur together when the author goes on and on about some random, hypothetical and philosophical topic the characters is thinking of I get really bored until we get back to the main plot of the story. I admire people who can read those kinds of books and fully comprehend what they’re trying to convey, I envy them.

Would I recommend it? Not to anyone too young, at least 18+. This book is not YA and discusses sex quite a lot (not in a crude way, but still, there is a lot of sexual non PG content). For those who love reading books that push our standard perceptions, question love, gender and relationship and who have the talent of comprehending any written text (including classics), then you’d enjoy this one.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Written on the Body.