Jennifer's Reviews > Autumn: The City

Autumn by David Moody

F 50x66
Jun 25, 11

Read from May 30 to June 02, 2011

I enjoyed the creep factor of "Autumn," the first book in the apocalyptic Autumn series so much that I had to locate the second book. It was more than worth my time, rummaging through the shelves at Katy Budget Books. I'm totally in love with the covers for this series...so creepy...so cool!

"Autumn: the City" tells the story of a group of survivors that witness the end of the world as we know it. But it doesn’t end there, how could it? The survivors watch in horror as the once dead bodies littering the streets begin to twitch, then slowly rise up from their resting places upon the streets. As the survivors bed down in the hiding places they have found, thinking about what they should do next to stay safe, things begin to change... and not for the better.

Moody stepped it up in this installment, giving the bodies a "28 Days" feel, which added to the overall horror. Coming in contact with the walking dead was less intense than that of the bloody savage-like zombies in "28 Days" but, nevertheless, scary as heck. Seeing and feeling the emotional impact of each character definitely makes you scoot to the edge of your seat and grip the book a little tighter than you would with your typical read.

One thing that really makes David’s walking dead more appealing than the average zombie book is that he does it in a creative way; he completely omits the use of the word 'zombie' and just tells the survivors' stories. My favorite thing about Moody’s writing style is the movie theater feel. It feels as though he has written you in as an extra so you can experience the feeling to run like hell when the bodies approach. It’s awesome.

I highly recommend David Moody’s Autumn series to anybody looking for a gnarly, zombie-apocalyptic story that will rock your world.
3 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Autumn.