Caryn's Reviews > Looking for Alaska

Feb 08, 2008

bookshelves: youngreaderandteen, all-timefavorites
Read in February, 2008

Oh. My. Goodness.

Let's have a chat about Looking for Alaska, yes?

I discovered this book on a video blog in which the author was attempting to explain why parents were trying to censor his book in public schools without actually reading because "you don't need to have cancer to diagnose cancer."

And then I found his video blog with his younger brother and decided that I should read his book to see if his writing sounds anything like his vlogging.

Well, it does.

He's hilarious. The book itself covers some pretty deep issues, including what happens to you when you die, why people suffer, and why they suffer incongruously, and how much you can truly know a person.

If I had my copy with me, I'd put a quote here, but I've already lent it to someone.

21 likes · flag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Looking for Alaska.

Quotes Caryn Liked

John Green
“And in my classes, I will talk most of the time, and you will listen most of the time. Because you may be smart, but I've been smart longer.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

John Green
“What is an "instant" death anyway? How long is an instant? Is it one second? Ten? The pain of those seconds must have been awful as her heart burst and her lungs collapsed and there was no air and no blood to her brain and only raw panic. What the hell is instant? Nothing is instant. Instant rice takes five minutes, instant pudding an hour. I doubt that an instant of blinding pain feels particularly instantaneous.”
John Green, Looking for Alaska

message 1: by Sam (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sam I dont care much for "Teen Reads", but my friend practically FORCED me to read it and i actually reall enjoyed it. It reminded me SO MUCH of my friends so thats probably why i relished it buti think for anyone who is in the misfit crowd they'll enjoy it.

Caryn I'm glad to hear you read it, even though it wasn't really your thing.

I agree that it's for anyone in the misfit crowd, but I'd also say that every feels like a misfit at some point in their life. I, personally, think Looking for Alaska is for everyone, at some point in their life.

Stephanie Weeks This review is amazing. I just picked it up from my college libary & am super excited to read it:)

Caryn :) Thanks! I'm glad you liked it.