Kayla's Reviews > Dark Life

Dark Life by Kat Falls

Apr 20, 11

bookshelves: first-reads, dystopia-apocalypse, ya-and-children, reviewed, covers-i-love
Read from April 06 to 21, 2011

I really enjoyed this book. I fell in love with the world that Falls created--I've always wondered what it would be like to live under the sea. Her descriptions of subsea life were very detailed. I loved reading about the jellyfish-shaped homes and the various underwater activities/hobbies that the settlers did. It sounded like a place I would love to live at.

Ty was a great narrator. For some reason, I had been under the impression that he was twelve (maybe from reading a typo in a review?), and I was a little apprehensive about that because I don't usually read books narrated by someone that young. Needless to say, I was relieved to learn that he was actually a quite mature fifteen-year-old. Right away he meets up with a fifteen-year-old girl named Gemma who came from the Topside (what they call the tiny space of land left after much of earth fell into the sea) who was searching a deserted sub for her brother. A friendship immediately grew between them and they went through a number of adventures while searching for her brother and avoiding the Seablite gang (a group of outlaws that rob government ships, and lately, subsea settlers' homes). The novel was very action-packed and I loved every minute of it. There was also a surprising twist at the end that blew me away. I especially liked learning about the Dark Gifts. I won't spoil that part for you, but I'll just say that this first book is a very promising start to an interesting series. I'm really looking forward to the second book.

*I won my copy from goodreads giveaways

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Dark Life.

04/07/2011 page 105
35.0% "I am really enjoying this book! The subsea world that Falls created is amazing and so interesting to read about. I can barely bring myself to set it down in order to do my work."
04/18/2011 page 245
82.0% "School is kicking my butt. I wasn't able to read a single page from this book for nearly a week, but I'm doing better at delegating. I hope to finish it by the weekend."