♆ BookAddict ~ La Crimson Femme's Reviews > Deadtown

Deadtown by Nancy Holzner

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: urban-fantasy, zombies
Read in February, 2011

I don't like zombies. It's rare that I read a story with zombies in it. Deadtown by Ms. Holzner was surprisingly good. In her world, zombies are not as bad as you think. Still, Tina, one of the zombies annoyed me greatly and I can only hope she gets killed in the next book.

Ms. Holzner creates a world where the paranormal exists and are persecuted. This is not so different than any other book, yet her take on it is interesting. I liked how each character in the book possess flaws. Some of the more annoying ones, like Victory's sister Gwen, I probably could have done with out. I did like how Ms. Holzner allows bad things to happen when people make bad decisions. I felt justification and vindication for the most part when people made bad choices despite warnings and then were negatively impacted by them. I still think Gwen's choices should have resulted in death. That would have made me happy. Gwen self loathing should cause to lose all her children.

As for the main character, Vicky, she has too good of a heart and it appears she is no different than many other females . . . she had Daddy issues. Except these Daddy issues aren't want you would think they would be. The guilt she carries for her father's death is right and I hope she is tortured by it for a very long time. I really have no sympathy for Vicky. Nor do I particularly like her. Most of the time, I wanted to slap her upside the head.

I did enjoy this book enough that I'd like to read the second on. Be forewarned, this book is filled with less than likable cast of characters. You might find yourself rooting for each one to die because they are too stupid to life.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Deadtown.