Lorrie's Reviews > Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass

Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass by Eva Mason

Feb 25, 11

Read from February 20 to 25, 2011

I read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass when I was about 10 and didn’t like the books as much as the Disney movie. Recently I read Alice I Have Been, the story of Alice Liddell and Lewis Carroll (Mr. Dodgson) and the creation of Alice in Wonderland, so I thought that it would be fun to reread the so called children’s book. It is a great imaginative children’s story but there is so much more there to discover for adult readers. I thoroughly enjoyed his play and use of words real or made up. I had no idea that the setting in Through the Looking Glass was a giant chess board and that each move Alice made was advancing her to the castling of the three Queens. If you have never read the original of these tales or read it as a child, I would recommend that you read them again.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

"She generally gave herself very good advice, (though she very seldom followed it)."

"But I don't want to go among mad people," Alice remarked.
Oh, you can't help that," said the Cat: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
How do you know I'm mad?" said Alice.
You must be," said the Cat, "or you wouldn't have come here."

Tut, tut, child!" said the Duchess. "Everything's got a moral, if only you can find it."

"Reeling and Writhing of course, to begin with,' the Mock Turtle replied, 'and the different branches of arithmetic-ambition, distraction, uglification, and derision."

If everybody minded their own business, the world would go around a great deal faster than it does.

We called him Tortoise because he taught us.
1 like · Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass.