cat's Reviews > Let's Take the Long Way Home: A Memoir of Friendship

Let's Take the Long Way Home by Gail Caldwell

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: 100-in-2011

2011 Book 22/100

It started with this line “It’s an old, old story: I had a friend and we shared everything, and then she died and so we shared that, too.” This book grabbed my heart and I stayed up later than I should have to finish this beautiful telling of a friendship between two literary women (Gail Caldwell and Caroline Knapp, author of Drinking: A Love Story) written by the former Pulitzer Prize winner, Gail Caldwell. The friendship was intense, long-lasting, and built on shared interests including the very tender bonds that they have with their dogs, their past alcoholism, and their love of rowing on the Charles River.

The NY Times captured the beauty of their connection, saying "Although there was nothing sexual about their friendship, it was in many crucial ways a love affair. Here were all the markers of a lifelong passion: their initial wariness of each other (they’d met at a party a few years earlier but had hardly hit it off); their shy, outdoor courtship (“Let’s take the long way home,” Knapp would say after a walk, so they could chat some more in the car); and finally Caldwell’s touchingly naked declaration, not far into the friendship, of “Oh no — I need you.”"

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Let's Take the Long Way Home.