Alicia's Reviews > Flirtin' With the Monster: Your Favorite Authors on Ellen Hopkins' Crank and Glass

Flirtin' With the Monster by Ellen Hopkins

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: nonfiction

Amazing and entirely insightful. These essays written by authors and Ellen and Ellen's family, including the daughter that Crank, Glass, and Fallout originated from are the icing and cherry on the top of a sundae. They complete the story in a way that I didn't think I needed but know was important to tell and to read as an uberfan.

The stories that resonated with me the most were the Judge from Carson City, citing what kinds of dopamine levels are created with meth and what he sees in the court system hourly (not to mention what I see on my weekly dose of Cops) or Hunter's 11-year-old true product of meth addiction (real name: Orion)'s story about his mom (which I love because Ellen and John are his mom and dad, not "Kristina"). As with all of her verse novels, she does everything so write/right from the introductory verse, to the choices for essayists, to leaving it with Orion's words and not her own or Kristina's. LOVED IT.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Flirtin' With the Monster.