Chibineko's Reviews > Entwined

Entwined by Heather Dixon

Mar 16, 11

bookshelves: amazon-vine, cute, harperteen, young-adult, fairytale-adaptation
Read from March 02 to 16, 2011

I'm a big fan of anything that adapts fairy tales. You name it, I'll probably like it. From novels such as Robin McKinley's Beauty to the fanservice filled Grimm Fairy Tales, I like them all. That's why it's no surprise that I liked Entwined.

I liked what Dixon did here with the story of the twelve dancing princesses. It's a pretty fun story in its own so adding sinister magicians, father/daughter strife, & romance were sort of bonuses here. I loved Dixon's descriptions of the lush & bejeweled world of the Keeper, one of my favorite parts of the book & the original tale. (Hey, what girl doesn't like reading about bling trees?) The male love interests for the various characters were also pretty well suited & I enjoyed the little details here & there.

Unfortunately at times I really thought that Dixon spent a little too much time on the "Daddy I hate you for being so cold" plot point in the book & too little on fleshing out some of the people in the book. Only about three of the daughters are all that well defined. Everyone else tends to just drift in & out of the background. I also didn't get a good sense of the ages of the various daughters, so whenever talk came up of the girls' fears of possibly being forced into an arranged marriage I couldn't help but think "gee, they're a bit young...".

This was still a pretty entertaining book & I really enjoyed reading it. It's not the absolute best beyond best that the fairy tale inspired novels out there have to offer (Beauty will always hold that spot for me), but it's decently written & entertaining enough to where I believe it'll do fairly well & it'll be something I'll be encouraging people to read outside of this review.

(ARC provided by Amazon Vine)

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Entwined.

03/14/2011 page 66
14.0% "Pretty good so far. This is right up my alley!"

dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by BookLuva28 (new) - added it

BookLuva28 I read the original in the complete fairy tales of the Brother's Grimm. I've always been intrigued by it and want to read different versions of it.

Chibineko Oh man, the original BG fairy tales are awesome. Sometimes I can just sit & read that book for hours on end. (sighs happily)