Heather's Reviews > The Matchmaker of Kenmare: A Novel of Ireland

The Matchmaker of Kenmare by Frank Delaney

F 50x66
Feb 22, 11

Read from February 20 to 21, 2011

Wish I could give it 3.75 stars! Wish I had known that this was a sequel... I love Ireland and Frank Delaney does a good job writing about it and he is very descriptive in his writing. It is set during WWII and is the story of a young woman, Kate, who is a matchmaker. And also Ben, who becomes her friend and biographer. It is a sequel to a book which now I am going to have to read! She describes what she does, by saying:
“And there’s a legend—she had only vague details—that all couples who are meant to marry are connected by an invisible silver cord which is wrapped around their ankles at birth, and in time the matchmaking gods pull those cords tighter and tighter and draw the couple slowly toward one another until they meet."
An enjoyable read.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Matchmaker of Kenmare.

Quotes Heather Liked

Frank Delaney
“Do you know what the difference is between Friendship and Love? Friendship is the photograph, Love is the oil painting.”

Frank Delaney
“Marriage is very important. Marrying a girl is the most important thing a man can do. Never mind business or politics or sport or any of that, there's nothing so vital to the world as a man marrying a woman. That's where we get our children from, that's how the human race goes forward. And if it's too late for children, there's the companionship of a safe and trusted person.”

Frank Delaney
“Marriage is the gold standard of all relationships. It's the currency by which everything is valued.”

Frank Delaney
“Start with the difficult and when it gets easy, everything else is easier.”

02/20/2011 page 50