Brad's Reviews > My Haunted House

My Haunted House by Angie Sage

Mar 05, 11

bookshelves: children, bronte-milos-books
Read from February 20 to March 05, 2011, read count: 1

Through the years, books for pre-teens have been missed by me. I read through a bunch of Hardy Boys when I was in kindergarten, and then I dove straight into mythology and the supernatural. I skipped the books that were meant for late grade school kids, and only now as a father am I really engaging with them.

As a family, we've been focusing on the classic kids books -- like Pinnochio, Peter Pan, The Wizard of Oz etc. -- but Miloš & Brontë are starting to read bigger books, and we've been looking for things that might interest them. Neither of them is all that keen on whodunits, so Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew were easy to pass over.

I found this book for Brontë while browsing at the book store, thinking her love of ghosts and spooky stuff would make it a hit. She has worked her way to the third chapter so far, but I decided to crack ahead and see if My Haunted House is any good.

It's okay. It's okay the way a stick of gum's okay when you've got bad breath. You know you want to brush and mouthwash, but the gum will do ... ish.

My Haunted Mansion steals most of its plot from Beetlejuice, minus the nasty, scabby, titular character (because he might be offensive), and it throws in a hint of The Addams Family minus the sexual innuendo (because that might be offensive), and it drops all hint of anything even remotely scary (cause *gasp* that might scare pre-teens. Eek!). It is as artificial vanilla as you can get.

I guess it's cute enough for a six year old because Brontë is enjoying it so far. I have a feeling, though, that by the time it turns from My Haunted Mansion into "My Haunted Commune," Brontë will be wishing she was watching some properly spooky Tim Burton work instead of reading this friendly, wimpy Burton rip-off.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read My Haunted House.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Robert These books are fab - I have signed copies for the first four?Five? from when I met the author, who is lovely.

Brad I bought this for my Brontë at Christmas, and she is slowly making her way through it (it's her first "big book"), and i thought I should make sure I read it too. That way we can talk. I am definitely enjoying it so far. It is so up Brontë's alley.

message 3: by Tracey (new)

Tracey One of my favorites, that I still remember after all these years is The Princess and the Goblin

message 4: by Kelly (new)

Kelly  Maybedog Have you found anything suitable for a preteen/tween/pretween that is actually kind of scary? My 9-year-old has this book on hold but I think it will be way too tame for her. She's always convincing her birth family to let her watch those "real" haunted house shows. I'm not big on that but I'd like something that will at least keep her reading.

Robert Araminta Spook (as she was originally named, in the UK) books aren't remotely scary, nor were they intended to be, I'm sure.

message 6: by Laura (new)

Laura Drumheller Her Septimus Heap series is entertaining. Another series that my son enjoyed was Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins (The writer of The Hunger Games) also Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel series by Michael Scott is enjoyable. They weren't scary but they were good reads :)

Robert Laura wrote: "Her Septimus Heap series is entertaining. Another series that my son enjoyed was Gregor the Overlander series by Suzanne Collins (The writer of The Hunger Games) also Secrets of the Immortal Nichol..."

I liked the heap of Septimus books, too; there is/soon will be a new Araminta Spook book!