Goose's Reviews > Sal Mineo: A Biography

Sal Mineo by Michael Gregg Michaud

Feb 20, 2011

liked it

I didn't know much about Sal Mineo prior to reading this biography. I found this book to be interesting and informative especially in the early chapters. I felt the author did a good job of describing young Sal's family life and his parents and brothers and how they all reacted as Sal became more and more famous. As the reader, one can sense that Sal's mother is quickly out of her league as Sal's manager but she remains as such for many years to come. I did enjoy Sal's getting to know many famous people and how he is described as slowly learing his craft and learning about many aspects of life at the same time. Where the book falters is in the later chapters, after Sal is relegated to guest starring on many television shows. I felt that we didn't really get a sens of the working actor. Much is made of his love life during his later years and it was very interesting to see who popped up to either have sex with Sal or have sex with one of Sals' friends while Sal watched. I would have to say this book is a good example of changing mores thru the decades and a nice illustration of sexual freedom before the time of AIDS. I just feel that the later chapters had too much flying here and there and guest starring on Columbo and Ellery Queen without enough detail on what it was like to pop into television for a week and then disappear again.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Sal Mineo.