Deb 's Reviews > The Girl in the Green Raincoat

The Girl in the Green Raincoat by Laura Lippman

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: 2011-books-read
Read in February, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I seem to be in the minority with regard to this book, and I don't often get my library book picks wrong. This is one of those times. (Maybe it was just a bad week?)

The premise of The Girl in the Green Raincoat is based on Hitchcock's movie "Rear Window." Tess Monaghan, private detective, is confined to bed rest for the rest of her pregnancy. One of the ways she amuses herself is by watching the dogwalkers in the local park. A girl in a green raincoat catches her eye, and one day, she doesn't appear. However, her dog is found running loose. Tess rescues the dog and immediately suspects that the dog's walker has met an untimely end. Her investigation, albeit from bed, and with the help of her friend, uncovers suspicious evidence pointing to the woman's husband as the perpetrator of the possible crime.

The story itself wasn't terrible. What annoyed me the most about the book was the writing. Apparently this story was first serialized, and then turned into a book. I found switches in narration annoying. While the story was told always from Tess's point of view, sometimes the narrator was Tess herself, but a few pages later, a third person narrator took over. It bugged me. I also thought the ending was forced. Without warning, the "dead" woman appears and puts Tess's life in danger.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Girl in the Green Raincoat.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

stephanie just wanted to point out that it's always a third person narrator - all the books in the tess series are written in the third person. usually it's third limited, with tess being the only one we know, but because this was a serial, and each chapter had to stand alone, POV changes were introduced - but never within one chapter.

though i agree the ending seemed a bit, "oh no, i only have one more issue to wrap this up in!" but i do love me some laura lippman.