Karen's Reviews > The Night Strangers

Nov 06, 11

it was ok
bookshelves: read-in-2011
Read from October 18 to 30, 2011

** spoiler alert ** I really liked Chris Bohjalian's other novels especially The Skeletons at the Feast and Double Bind. As I started this book I was enjoying it quite allot, I was sure not to read at night, because there were some parts that really were scary, but something about the ending left me unsatisfied.
I've read a few of Stephen King's books and one of my favorites was Needful Things, so I do enjoy these types of books.
I found it hard to believe that Emily and the twins would so easily be taken in by these women. It just didn't work for me.

But I look forward to Chris's next book which he mentioned on The Diane Rheem show about the Armenian and Turkish war.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Night Strangers.

10/19/2011 page 21
10/23/2011 page 94
24.0% 1 comment
show 8 hidden updates…

message 1: by Glenn (new) - added it

Glenn Hi Karen - this is next on my night stand as well... Kinda weird how similar and alike we think. Of course I'm not sure about that Twilight Series stuff... :-)

Karen What can I say, it's my guilty pleasure!

Denise I agree, it really didn't work for me either -- I love his writing but prefer his other books.

Carol I'll chime in here as I liked Night Strangers. I read it not comparing it so much to his other books but just for the enjoyment of the story. It does have psychological themes like some of his other books but is different. I would agree that Skeletons of the Feast, etc. are stronger books but I think Bohjalian veered away from the serious and just enjoyed the fun of the ghost story in this one. Chip Linton's scenes are excellent. I wonder what Bohjalian will write next.

Karen Carol, I heard an interview with Chris on the Diane Rheem show that he is working on a historical fiction set during the Armenian genocide.

Carol Hi Karen, Oh, that sounds like what we're used to Chris writing. Thanks for the heads up!