Brian Burriston's Reviews > Unlocking Harry Potter: Five Keys for the Serious Reader

Unlocking Harry Potter by John Granger

Feb 20, 11

bookshelves: serious
Read on February 20, 2011

I found the Postmodern themes (Key 4) hard to get through but was interested in learning how to look at the series from the literary perspective. Remembering this was written before the book 7 was out I tried not to judge on his misses but rather learn from his message and several points came through in totally different fashions, but they came none the less. I am thinking of the Malfoys linking up the Slytherin house at the end, Dobby's overlooked powers were critical to Harry's success as well as Longbottom heroism throughout but with Nagini particularly and the suggestion that King's Cross would play a part in the sacrificial death. What partially entertained me was how the meat of the last book was totally missed, how the story of the Hallows was totally missed. Was that the twist that defied the logic?

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Unlocking Harry Potter.

02/20/2011 page 262
84.0% "Currently pushing past paragraphs such as this:
Instead of the unexamined nominalism and relativism of the postmodern periods, Ms. Rowling offers us stories reflecting a poststructuralist's structure, namely the Principle of Love, Harmony and Balance we see in her use of alchemical topoi and in her symbols and story reflecting a Trinitarian cosmology. This is not a restrictive metanarrative..."