wrench's Reviews > Moab is My Washpot

Moab is My Washpot by Stephen Fry

Nov 16, 14

Read from February 20 to 23, 2011

So I really liked this book.
Um, I think it's definitely worth reading especially if you're a fan of Stephen Fry.
A few problematic things I'd like to flag, just off the top of my head because I don't have the book anymore (damn library always wanting its books back), but anyway.

So the main thing I can think of (and will probably add more later)is the way he talks about accessibility to queer literature.
I don't know the exact line, but he says something like nowadays young queers have all sorts of gay literature to understand what they are/can be/what there is out there that doesn't hate them, whereas young Stephen Fry only had codified queer literature in which one can glean a little from the hints/by looking for it in the classics etc.
While it is true that there is a lot more queer (read accessible and 'out') literature out there, I can't help but feel he's taking a very white middle class cis-male point of view. I mean what do queers in countries which are not first world western countries care about Ellen DeGenres? So yeah, I just wanted to flag that as problematic and will probs have more later when my brain ain't all blah.

Also, omg I love it when gay cis-men are all like, "Women aren't gross I just don't find them sexually attractive" that is freaking awesome (and I hate that that is a thing which stands out as different).
Definitely worth a read.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Moab is My Washpot.