Chana's Reviews > Heroes and Villains

Heroes and Villains by Steven Gaines

Feb 20, 2011

bookshelves: american, memoirs-and-biographies, released-through-bookcrossing
Read on February 20, 2011

I attended a Beach Boys concert in about 1976, in Santa Barbara CA if memory serves correctly. I was not at all interested in the concert, sadly, I was more of Led Zepplin and Pink Floyd kind of music fan. Now I would love to go back and listen to that concert and observe the band. I really enjoyed this book and have spent quite a bit of time on YouTube listening to the band especially in their early years. My pleasure in listening to their music was greatly enhanced by reading this book and understanding who the Wilson boys and the Love boys and Al Jardine, who these people were and what their lives were like. The talent of that early band and how the American people took to them is still exciting. You can see the terrible toll that both fame, lots of money, fans and the 1960's drug culture took on the band members though. They were so young when they obtained fame and so immature. Nevertheless, The Beach Boys are an American icon, beloved still. I love listening to Brian Wilson's compositions and hearing him sing falsetto with the band. It is all still cool, I am appreciating it in a way I never did before I read this book.
There really are some appalling things in this book also, although what I find appalling might be different than what other people think. The worst was the friendship between Dennis and Charles Manson, even though it looked like Dennis was eventually afraid to cross Manson in any way. Then there was that terrible person, Rocky Pamplin, that guy was a total pig in my opinion. And then I also was really upset with May and Irving Rovell, a nice Jewish couple who I felt were seduced by the idea of fame in the music business and let their daughters go this way rather than ensuring that their girls grew up strong in their heritage.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Heroes and Villains.

Carol Storm You make some really interesting points here. There are a lot of victims in this book BESIDES Brian Wilson!

Chana Thanks Lily!

Carol Storm It's funny that you saw the Beach Boys in California in 1976 -- I saw them at the Saratoga Performing Arts Center (SPAC) in upstate NY in 1978!

Murray I was about to write "good points" but I see the Carol beat me to it. I first saw them in '75 with Chicago. What a show!