Nathan Pearson's Reviews > Everything Is Illuminated

Everything Is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer

M_50x66
May 28, 07

The gut-tickling malaprop voice of Alex, bragging falsely (but without a trace of guile) in a broken idiolect that suggests computer translation gone awry, is worth the price of admission all by itself. Sadly, the rest of the book -- much of it strung out in unimaginative flashback episodes -- is a turgid, half-baked mess. Reading just Alex's bits and ignoring the rest would be a bit like picking out all the chocolate chips from a bag of trailmix...but that may be the best way to snack here.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Everything Is Illuminated.

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Bobbi Woods As I am reading your review, I am actually picking out the chocolate chips from my trail mix!! Too funny!

Deborah Schwartz Jacobs I've put this book back on my To-Read list: not because I expect the parts about the Jewish past to grow on me (lost cause; I read the real stuff at the office) but because I'm not done with Alex. I found the sketchy mentions of his family relations quite moving, but that's me.

message 3: by Jess (new) - rated it 1 star

Jess That's exactly the way that I feel about this book! one hundred pages strong and tempted to snack.