Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews's Reviews > A Devil in the Details

A Devil in the Details by K.A. Stewart

Mar 10, 11

bookshelves: 2010-release, demons
Read from March 09 to 10, 2011

Every once in awhile a story comes along that has a male lead character that changes your prospective of the Fantasy genre and into trying something new for a change. This, to me, is that story. I still prefer female leads, but this story is so very unique, that it surprised me how well I liked it, and will definitely look forward to the next release, A Shot In The Dark, once it is released in July 2011.

Our lead character is named Jesse James Dawson. Yes, Jesse James. His father had a thing for westerns.
Jesse was a wild child growing up, and ended up in the right place at the right time, and changed his ways and most likely his life as well. Jessie is father to 5 year old Annabelle and husband to Mira who is a powerful witch. He works as a retail clerk at a store called It. He has a black belt in karate, jujitsu, and is a modern day samurai, and he's one of the last remaining demon fighters in the world. The family dynamics are what really caught my interest in this story. Sure the demon slaying was interested as well, but I haven't really found another story like this in a very long time. Jessie puts himself at risk for others, but Mira is right there standing by his side and helping him with her magical protection, and even diving in when one of their friends, Miguel, turns up missing and presumed dead.

The story (In Jesse's POV) tells us that Jesse saved his younger brother Cole's soul after he sold it to save his dying son. Cole, it seems, turned out okay, and thanks to Jessie got a nice career as a police officer. Cole only played a background part in this story, so, we really can't tell if the brothers are actually close or not.

Another charater of interest is Ivan Zelenko. Ivan is a Ukranian who put together the organzation that is responsible for slaying demons, and their training as well. Most of his champions are men, with the one exceptioin of Svetlana who resides in Eastern Europe, and for whom we don't get a chance to meet as well as the other champions. Ivan has at his disposal a network called the Grapevine, which is supposed to be hacker safe. It's a way for all champions to keep in touch with Ivan, and to get their next assignments.

The story starts out with Jessie saving/retrieving the soul of the Presidents. Jessie tells us that you don't really kill demons, you wear them down until they lose the strength to hold onto this plane. There are 5 levels of demons: Fallen Angels, which are the highest, Scuttles, Snots, Shirts, and Skins. Each more powerful than the other. After Jessie beats the Giant Crab demon, he ends up spending the next 3 weeks in the ICU, and is out of commission while he heals from his extreme injuries. We learn that he has a plethora of other injuries from battling demons. Good thing he has a good doctor he can deal with; Dr Bridget Smith, and ex lover.

Jessie then takes a job from a baseball player named Nelson Kidd, who throw the story for a loop at the end. He sold his soul to a demon in order to remain active in baseball, and not washing up. During this time, Jessie finds himself being tracked and hunted by an unknown demon, who it appears, has also gone after two other champions and killed them. At the same time, another demon named Axel, continues to try to tempt Jessie into giving up his soul. Personally, I found Axel aggravating, and one of the reasons I lowered my rating on this story. He has information that can help Jessie, but being a demon, he's just to stupid to be allowed to live.

*Thanks to Jessie saving the Presidents soul, he gets a huge favor when he is set-up as attacking another man, who sold his soul to the demons*

This is a new author to me, and a definite to follow to see how Jessie's story plays itself out.

Recommended: Everyone who enjoys a good yarn of a story, with a family dynamic that is a beautiful thing to read about.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read A Devil in the Details.

03/10/2011 page 105
34.0% "This book kind of reminds me of the Sandman Slim series. But different in that the male lead is a champion demon hunter with a family, which includes his mother, brother, wife and child. Interesting."
03/10/2011 page 206
67.0% "This is such an unusual story. I mean, Jessie, the main character has a part time job, a family (wife and daughter) and is a kick butt demon slayer aka Champion. Not sure if I've ever read anything like it."

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead So unusual good or unusual bad. I don't often read urban fantasy books with lead male characters so I'm curious about this one.

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Definitely good as you can tell by my review.

Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead Shelley wrote: "Definitely good as you can tell by my review."

Nice review!

Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews Thank you ma'am :O)