Jennifer's Reviews > Faith, Hope, and Ivy June

Faith, Hope, and Ivy June by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor

F_50x66
Feb 19, 11

Read in February, 2011

Ivy June and Catherine are both 7th grade girls who live in Kentucky. Ivy June lives in the rural, mountainous region of southeastern KY, and Catherine lives in Lexington. Both girls are part of a student exchange program – Ivy June spends two weeks living with Catherine and her upper-middle class family in Lexington, and then Catherine spends two weeks living with Ivy June and her family in coal country. Their lives are very different: Ivy June’s family has an outhouse while Catherine’s house has 5 bathrooms, Catherine owns a cell phone yet Ivy June’s house doesn’t even have a telephone. Despite their differences the girls discover that they have many similarities.

Having lived in Kentucky for a year, I thought the story was spot-on. I listened to the audio version of the book, and the narration was the only thing that kept me from giving this book 5 stars. The narrator didn’t get the Kentucky accents or cadence quite right.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Faith, Hope, and Ivy June.