Alice Yeh's Reviews > Last Exit In New Jersey

Last Exit In New Jersey by C.E. Grundler

Feb 21, 11

bookshelves: hide-and-read-reviews
Read in February, 2011

The book begins with an introduction to a protagonist who, by all rights, should be wholly unlikable. She is rude, egocentric, antisocial, judgmental, and more than a little bit of a sociopath. It is a great demonstration of Grundler's skill that the girl ended up drawing my compassion, as well as a begrudging sort of affection. Her character, in all its flawed glory, was revealed through the choices that she made, and I found myself caught between marveling at her MacGyver-esque skills and feeling completely awed by her presence of mind, laughing all the while at the inch-think coat of snark that blankets her tongue.

The novel actually alternates between two points of view, flip-flopping from Hazel to Hammon and back again. At first, it was difficult to see how the parallel storylines were related, and I was annoyed by the constant passing of the baton because I wanted to find out where each one was going. When she dovetailed the two, however, everything came together seamlessly, and the importance of establishing personalities and histories became apparent. As the mystery unraveled, I was torn between blazing forward to see how it ends and going back to match recent revelations with past clues. The plot was complex, surprising, and at times confusing, but wholly enjoyable for those very reasons.

There is a fair amount of nautical-speak, as would be expected in a story about people who live on boats. Grundler successful walks the line between authenticity and overkill; as a reader with very little sailing experience, I was still able to wade through the technical terms without becoming bogged down by them. They slipped in unobtrusively in the edgy, irony-ridden tone of voice that dominates the novel. My own real criticism would be a few typographical errors, but no glaring grammatical ones come to mind.

Last Exit In New Jersey is a lesson in balance — dramatics without implausibility; suspense sans gratuitous filler; and romance conveyed in half a handful of love scenes. In the end, reading this book is a lot like sailing aboard Hammond's boat, the Revenge: the pacing is efficiently done, even if part of you irrationally wishes it were a faster ride.
1 like · likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Last Exit In New Jersey.