Mariana's Reviews > The Song of Troy

The Song of Troy by Colleen McCullough

Feb 08, 2008

bookshelves: read-me-senseless-books, historical-fiction, novel
Recommended for: Anyone who is interested in the story of the Trojan War - a must read!

Song of Troy is, probably, the best recollection of the Trojan War I've read so far. Colleen McCullough, with her stupend writing and style, presents us with this book on a well-known subject which, nevertheless, manages to keep the reader's interest from first page to last.

Colleen masterfully lays down the story of the most famous war of the ancient world, all the while bringing a new scope to the narrative, as each chapter is written through the eyes of a different character: the beautiful, but inconsequent, Helen of Sparta (later of Troy); Odysseus, a lesser King but a true genious; Priam, the old King of Troy; Achilles, the greatest warrior the world has ever seen; and Agamemnon, King of Greece, whose desire to win surpasses his respect for one of the most sacred principles.

By allowing the reader to penetrate deeper inside the mind of the main characters as the plot unfolds, the author gives us a new and original view of the events leading to and during the War. Despite the fact that the story is previously known by most, each development and twist is always surprising.

In a nutshell, an essential reading to those who have always been fascinated by this War caused by love - and, this time, without godly interventions and magical influences.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Song of Troy.

05/11/2016 marked as: read