Sarah's Reviews > Lit

F 50x66
Feb 19, 11

liked it
Read in February, 2011

This was a very emotional book for me. Throughout, I felt sympathy for Mary, but also anger. I agree that her life was hard, and can understand how she would struggle with alcoholism. But, for someone who went through what she went through, I cannot fathom choosing to follow in those footsteps and cause the same problems for your child. She made a lot of bad choices, and luckily she cleaned herself up. I also did not like that she credits her transformation solely to her discovering God. Towards the end, I wanted to throw the book aside, but at the same time I wanted to see her change--for her son's sake.

There are parts that I thoroughly enjoyed. Her language was remarkable. I normally do not appreciate an abundant use of similes and metaphors, but in this case I loved them. She has a good sense of humor that shines throughout the book. I am a firm believer that you must be able to laugh at yourself--and she does often. I like that she acknowledges that what she is writing is her memory of the event, and is not how others would have remembered it. I like that she prefaces or explains a lot of her actions of when she was drunk with hindsight--to show how much she has changed and grown.

I would recommend this to anyone who has had to watch someone struggle with addictions. She is very good about describing how she could not stop, even though she wanted to, and showing us how hard it is to deal with this addiction after you have taken all the steps to stop and you are at the bottom. It is very relatable, and I am sure that people who have not had to go through these feelings themselves will walk away with a better understanding of how other people can fall into this pattern and not be able to pull themselves out of it.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Lit.