Pat Loughery's Reviews > Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom

2319365
Feb 13, 12

bookshelves: celtic-spirituality, audiobook
Read in June, 2011

Here's the thing with O'Donohue. He writes mystically and poetically. I'd rather hear him speak than read his words. Actually, reading it on Kindle is a weird, weird trip. I think this is one of those books that you have to have in print, in hand, with a cup of coffee or a pint of porter at hand, sitting on the deck overlooking a natural scene.

I LOVE the guy, I just find that it's hard to read this particular book in the form that I have it.
Likeflag

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Anam Cara.

Quotes Pat Liked

John O'Donohue
“Your soul knows the geography of your destiny. Your soul alone has the map of your future, therefore you can trust this indirect, oblique side of yourself. If you do, it will take you where you need to go, but more important it will teach you a kindness of rhythm in your journey.”

John O'Donohue
“When time is reduced to linear progress, it is emptied of presence.”
tags: time

John O'Donohue
“Beauty is the illumination of your soul.”

John O'Donohue
“It is lovely to meet an old person whose face is deeply lined, a face that has been deeply inhabited, to look in the eyes and find light there.”

John O'Donohue
“Behind your image, below your words, above your thoughts, the silence of another world waits.”

John O'Donohue
“When love awakens in your life, in the night of your heart, it is like the dawn breaking within you. Where before there was anonymity, now there is intimacy; where before there was fear, now there is courage; where before in your life there was awkwardness, now there is a rhythm of grace and gracefulness; where before you used to be jagged, now you are elegant and in rhythm with your self. When love awakens in your life, it is like a rebirth, a new beginning.”

John O'Donohue
“The Celtic mind was not burdened by dualism. It did not separate what belongs together”

John O'Donohue
“The world rests in the night.”

John O'Donohue
“Many of us have made our world so familiar that we do not see it anymore. An interesting question to ask yourself at night is, What did I really see this day?”

John O'Donohue
“May all that is unlived in you blossom into a future graced with love.”

02/28/2011 page 5