Pam's Reviews > The Ghost at the Table: A Novel

F 50x66
Apr 30, 11

it was ok
Read from April 25 to 29, 2011

Family drama blahblah and I don't care about Mark Twain either. And why did the main character show up to Thanksgiving dinner wearing a corseted dress made out of velvet she obviously bought at Hot Topic? However, I did like this part:
"You love whom you love love, you fail whom you fail, and almost always we fail the ones we meant to love. Not intentionally, that's just how it happens. We get sick or distracted or frightened and don't listen, or listen to the wrong things. Time passes, we lose track of our mistakes, neglect to make amends. And then, no matter how much we much we might like to try again, we're done. Whatever inspiring song we hoped to sing for the world is over, sometimes to general regret, more frequently to small notice, and even, if we were old or sick, to relief. It's not easy to sit through the performance of another person's life; so often it is music without music, as Mark Twain once said, referring to something else in one of his maxims. Though we have to try to hear it. It's unbearable to think we can't at least try."

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Ghost at the Table.