Adam's Reviews > The Hound of Rowan

The Hound of Rowan by Henry H. Neff

Feb 19, 11

bookshelves: fantasy
Read in February, 2011

A decent first effort. I see these books as a cross between Harry Potter and Fablehaven. The story is fast paced and interesting. The characters are a bit flat but I expect will flesh out a lot over the course of the series.

I have a difficult time not comparing these books to Harry Potter and that is unfair since I've read all 7 of the books in that series. Going back and reading the first book shows that the Tapestry first effort is on a similar level. The key will be whether or not Neff can really pick up steam like Rowling did through the course of the books. The story became deeper, more interwoven, and I understood how all of the books worked together and were laying groundwork for the conclusion.

I'm a bit worried that Neff is already placing so many similar thematic elements in these books and plot vehicles that smack of Harry Potte i.e. a school for kids that are "different" with a whole hidden society that "regular" people don't know about. If I see an invisibility cloak or a Marauders Map show up, I may give up entirely. That is perhaps unfair since a lot of the elements of Harry Potter can be found in Lord of the Rings and imitation isn't new. Still, Harry Potter was so recent and so widespread it is hard not to feel slighted by authors who roll out the same artifice in their stories.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Hound of Rowan.