Paul Pessolano's Reviews > The Fixer Upper

The Fixer Upper by Mary Kay Andrews

Feb 19, 11

For those of you who are looking for a summer read and don't want anything too heavy, but would like something interesting with a mixture of comedy, romance, and some mystery, this book was written with you in mind.

I know I'm preaching to the choir to those of you who are already fans of May Kay Andrews but she puts together some of the most delightful novels, and they all take place in Georgia.

No exception with "The Fixer Upper". The story starts in Washington, D.C. and Dempsey Jo Killebrew, a lawyer lobbysist, is being framed for a political scandal. In an attempt to get her problems behind her she is given a challenge by her father. He asks her to fix up an old family homestead to resale. The house is in Guthrie, Georgia and is called "Birdsong", only Dempsey believes it should have been called "Bird Droppings". The place is in pretty bad shape and will take everything she has to get it into shape.

She not only has the house to content with, but she also has to deal with a cantankerous old lady that happens to be a distant relative of hers. Ella Kate Timmons has lived in the house and is refusing to vacate the premises. She also becomes involved with the son of the local attorney, and a real estate salesman who keeps showing up and painting the outside of the house.

For those of you who like inteior decorating, you will enjoy how Dempsey changes the look of the house without spending a fortune. She makes good use of discarded material and the junkyard.

It is not often that I can say that a book will just about satisfy everyone, but this is such a book. I know that you who have read her in the past will be totally delighted with this book, and I know those of you who haven't read her will pick up her other books after reading "The Fixer Upper".

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The Fixer Upper.