Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥'s Reviews > Clockwork Angel

Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare

I can confidently say I am not a Clare fan. I have given this the same rating as the first TMI book, but for different reasons. In City of Bones I didnt much like the story, but I enjoyed the characters. In Clockwork Angel it is the opposite. The story was decently interesting, like a mystery with so many pieces to put together, but the characters were horrible. That is only my opinion, since I know this book and its characters are wildly popular.

I found Tessa to be a decent heroine considering her situation and the historical setting. But I have trouble taking someone seriously when they are attracted to Will. Why anyone would like him is beyond me. He is clearly hiding something and is trying to push ppl away with his rudeness and arrogance. But that is all there is to him. Like Magnus observes at the end of the book, "He seemed to show nothing real to the world." I have observed no redeeming qualities in him thus far. I cant imagine what Tessa or Jem see in him. I dont recall him ever being kind to her, beyond showing occasional concern, and that was usually not in her presence.

Having to put up with reading her thoughts about him is very frustrating. I have never disliked a male lead before. There are a few rare occasions where I have liked the supporting male character enough to be noteworthy, and on even rarer occasions I have liked him enough to rival the male lead, but never before to the extent of surpassing the male lead. Usually, all the thoughts they (leading couples) have about each other is what I feed on. It propels me through books as fast as I can possible read, wanting more. But in this, any thoughts of Will made me uncomfortable and I almost dreaded it. I cannot stress enough how unappealing I find him, or how baffled I am by Tessa's affections. Some have told me, "Dont judge until you read the next book!" But Tessa has not read the next book! It makes no sense to be attracted to someone who treats you like you're worthless, whatever their reasons or true feelings may be. But enough ranting about Will. Onto the next fellow, (Haha, my brain is thinking British now).

Jem is kind and considerate, and everything an English gentleman should be. But I dont think that's what Tessa wants. She could not have missed his affections, however subtle, but I think he would have to be more passionate to attract her attention. He is far too subdued for my liking, and hopefully he will show more emotion in the next book, which I may or may not read. I will probably wait until the whole series is released before continuing. That is what I decided to do with TMI. Reading the whole thing slowly is far too tedious. I am considering dropping the rating for this to 2.5/5.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Clockwork Angel.

Quotes Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Liked

Cassandra Clare
“It's all right to love someone who doesn't love you back, as long as they're worth you loving them. As long as they deserve it.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

Cassandra Clare
“What if it is immoral somehow? Forbidden?”
“Forbidden? But my father’s love for my mother was forbidden, or at least against the law. Or do mean if she is married, or a vampire?”
“Or a married vampire.”
“Well, nevertheless,” Will said, with a grin. “One should fight on. Love conquers all.”
“I shall warn the vampire husbands of the neighborhood,” said Jem dryly.”
Cassandra Clare, Clockwork Angel

12/29/2011 page 178
37.0% "I was excited to find out who I would choose, Will or Jem, but I think it is still too early to tell. So far neither of them seen very remarkable. But I think I am leaning towards Jem."
show 3 hidden updates…

dateDown_arrow    newest »

Jennifer *whispers* I'd pick Jem. :D

message 2: by Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ (last edited Dec 29, 2011 09:12PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Yeah, I think so. But since I am not done yet I feel I shouldnt say, since I dont have all the information others do. Plus I still have to read Clockwork Prince. But I dont particularly like either of them. Will is rather horrid. He reminds me a lot of Jace, but only because he has all his bad qualities, and none of his good ones. I dont really see why anyone would like Will. Jem is nice, but kinda dull.

Soumi only 3 stars???

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Soumi wrote: "only 3 stars???"

Writing my review right now. Will be up in a few minutes. It will explain.

Soumi :( i love Jem sooooo much

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ He is definitely the better of the 2. Maybe I will love him after I have read more.

Soumi :) <3 <3

Zuleeza "Some have told me, "Dont judge until you read the next book!" But Tessa has not read the next book!"

So much win!
Yea, I agree with everything you said in your review. Not that I know Cassandra Clare is writing yet another Shadowhunter series, The Dark Artifacts, I totally lost interest in any of her books.

Rebecca ♥ Matrim, Kishan, Warner ♥ Haha, thank you. :) I dont know why I keep reading her books. Although I havent read Fallen Angels yet, and I dont know whether of not I will read Dark Artifices.