Shiela's Reviews > Library of the Dead

Library of the Dead by Glenn Cooper

Mar 02, 11

bookshelves: historical-fiction, mystery, thriller, suspense
Read from February 19 to March 01, 2011

I can't really decide if I like this book or not. I can't really put my finger on what I didn't like about the story but there was something that just bothered me throughout. It had its moments but most of it just dragged on and on with endless descriptions that did not add anything to the plot. While painting vivid images in the readers mind works well for a lot of other genres (I love historical fiction for that very reason), most people pick up thrillers for the plot and constant action, not the long passages of nothingness.

The main character didn't really do it for me either. I had a hard time feeling any empathy for him because he just seemed to create all of the problems himself. He didn't seem to learn anything or grow as a character. It will be interesting to see if this changes in the subsequent novel.

The premise was an interesting one and the main story resolved itself very unpredictably. The author did a fine job at tying up the numerous loose ends in the very many storylines that spanned across centuries.

I think I'll at least try to read the sequel "Book of Souls" but who knows how long I'll stay interested or if I'll even care about the future of our lead and very flawed detective, Will Piper.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Library of the Dead.