J.'s Reviews > The General's Daughter

The General's Daughter by Nelson DeMille

Feb 26, 11

Read from February 19 to 26, 2011 — I own a copy, read count: 1

Intriguing mystery mixed with Army protocol made for a good read. Unnecessary love interest of Warrant Officer Paul Brenner, made a solid page turner drag a bit slow at times for seemingly no real reason in the story.

Rather graphic at times, which seemed at times gratuitous, and while an important part of the plot, again seemed to slow the book down and almost made me want to put it down (almost), and certainly would be a complete turnoff to anybody with more delicate sensibilities.

In the end though, Demille offers up enough suspects to keep you guessing until he is ready to let you hone in on the killer about 3/4 of the way through, and even then, because of the subplots you are never quite sure how it will turn out until the end.

While I note things like "dragging" and "slow" in descriptions above, I should point out this is in contrast to other Demille books I have read recently (Plum Island, The Lion's Game, Wild Fire), it was still an relatively easy read and page turner, and a self confessed "non-reader" still breezed through this in about 7 days of evening time reading. I guess some would describe this as "summertime reading" and if that is what you enjoy (and of course a good mystery) then this certainly fits.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read The General's Daughter.