Elise Wilson's Reviews > Summer at Willow Lake

Summer at Willow Lake by Susan Wiggs

Feb 19, 2011

Read in February, 2011

This is my first read by Susan Wiggs and I truly enjoyed it. What I liked most was that it spoke of family life and family relationships -- something we all can relate to because we all have some type family to talk about. And this book is realistic in that it shows how loving a family can be, but also how dysfunctional a family can be. Summer at Willow Lake takes place, for the most part, in a camp setting, which I like. It evokes feelings and memories of growing up as a child, whether you attended camp or not. But if you did, the experience of reading will be all the more enriched.

I also liked the book because it kept me engaged in the story and the lives of its characters. Wiggs has this tendency to insert a line of two of mystery, which will keep you reading until the mystery is solved. Summer at Willow Lake is also a romance story and I liked both Olivia ("Lolly") and Connor -- two genuine characters. But I was almost brought to tears by the lovely 50th wedding anniversary celebration and witnessing through words the love story between Olivia's grandparents.

I look forward to reading more of Wiggs' books, especially if the language is a vivid and descriptive, the plot as engaging and the characters as believable as those in Summer at Willow Lake.

Sign into Goodreads to see if any of your friends have read Summer at Willow Lake.